Wednesday, July 24, 2013

There's nothing quite like a homemade scone

As promised, I am finally going to share a recipe with you.  Last night I decided it was time to use up some ingredients- more because it was bothering me to see them every time I opened the fridge rather than because they were going bad.  I had some heavy cream leftover from last weekend and of course the first thing I thought of to make with it was my go-to breakfast item- Scones.  I have probably made scones more than any other pastry, since I just love the contrast of the almost sour soft bread-like interior with the lightly crisp golden brown edges.  Not to mention the variety of possible additions depending on my mood, from fresh raspberries to dried cranberries to pumpkin to chocolate chips.  Scones are such a versatile food, and can be just as delicious no matter what you put in them.  So what's not to like?

Here is the recipe I came up with (after glancing at a couple others I found online for tips) for BLUEBERRY LEMON SCONES:

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt (I used sea salt for added kick)
Zest from one lemon
1 cup blueberries
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. melted butter
Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

1.  Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2.  Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest in a large bowl.   Gently add blueberries until thoroughly mixed. 
3.  Make a well in the center and add the heavy cream and lemon juice, stirring slowly to combine.  (You may have to add more heavy cream if it is not sticky enough).  You will have a large ball of dough.
4.  Split the dough into three equal balls and flatten the tops slightly.  Cut each into quarters so that you have 12 scones.  Line them on the baking sheet, spacing at least 2 in. apart.  Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
5.  Bake scones for 15-20 min. until golden brown.  Let cool on baking sheet for 5-10 min. 
*Although I got too impatient and didn't do this, I would recommend letting them cool (without covering) until room temperature so that the exterior is allowed to harden and not get soggy. 


Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment