Saturday, August 16, 2014

The She-Elves: Tauriel and Galadriel Costumes

Most of you have already seen my Tauriel costume photos (http://thecraftyanthropologist.blogspot.com/2014/04/tauriel-costume.html), which I posted several months ago. But just in time for Comic-Con this year, I decided to whip up an elf costume for my friend so that we could dress up together. I had insisted for awhile that she go as Katniss Everdeen (since she is overly obsessed with the Hunger Games series and, thanks to me, has a replica of the bow, arrow, and quiver set that Katniss uses in the movies). However, she refused to carry around those props at the convention and then asked if I would make her a costume to match mine. So we searched for other Hobbit female characters and only came up with one. Sad, isn't it? And that's in the movies...the book has hardly any female characters at all from what I can remember. Anyway, it took me longer than I had anticipated but I managed to make her a flowing white gown to go with the Galadriel crown, ring, and wig props she got separately. Of course I think it could be much better, but given the fact that I used no pattern and simply looked at photos and videos online, I think it came out pretty darn good. We plan to do a photo shoot of her in costume at some point to show it off a bit more, but for now here are some photos of the creation process:

Laying out the fabric and lining
Cutting out the dress shape


After attaching the fabric to the lining
Closeup of front of dress before sleeve attachment












































Here are some photos of us from the event:

Us together in the convention center



WE FOUND SAMWISE GAMGEE! Er, I mean, Sean Astin.



No comments :

Post a Comment